2.13.2013

First Day of School

I never really thought this day would ever come. From the beginning of our marriage, we decided that Dustin would provide for our family by working, and I would provide by being home with the kids and keeping the home. I love being home with the girls and find it an adventure, although challenging at times (it is my work, after all) exploring their imaginations, introducing them to new activities, and interacting with the community around us. All that to say, I just always thought they would skip "mothers morning out" and preschool... I am even doing some heavy consideration of skipping conventional schooling all together (We'll save that for another post ;) ). 

Some of the best advice I have received time and time again from seasoned mothers is to do what is best for each individual child. What wise, sound counsel. It's simple but yet so complex. 

For those of you who know Julip, you know, without a shadow of a doubt, that she is an extrovert with a capital E. We go to the grocery store and she yells out, "I love your dress!" and she always asks, "What's your name?" to anyone within an earshot. She loves people. She loves interacting with them. She just loves being around others. 

An asset of our church is the morning school available to the community. It's on the same floor as Julip (and Eloise's) nursery rooms, a floor beneath Dustin's office, and within biking distance from our house (although it'd be a steep, uphill bike ride, for sure). When we interviewed for the job here in North Carolina, I was just so impressed with the morning school and their philosophy of teaching. I realized very quickly that school, two days a week, for a couple of hours in the morning would be a very good thing for little Jubie. She would thrive in such an environment. 

For weeks we've mentioned the idea of morning school to Julip. She has been so excited and eager to go! It's like better than "ice cream chocolate" to her! Multiple times a day, she requests to read Curious George's First Day of School, which I have mostly memorized by now! So, as promised, we took Julip to her first day of morning school the day after her third birthday. 

Early breakfast. 

What an expression, huh? 

and a kiss goodbye! 

Sure enough, she loved it! She had so much fun, learned new things, and was able to play with FRIENDS! And that girl makes friends instantly! 

I will say, I rather enjoyed my quite morning to myself (Eloise slept-in most of the time Julip was away) and my special one-on-one time with little Eloise! This seems to be a good thing, after all. 

And being the foodie I am, here is a picture of her lunch! A rainbow of her very favorite snacks: 

 Popcorn, strawberries, pomegranate seeds, clementine, broccoli, beans with sea salt, and carrot sticks. Let me just tell you, this was allllll gone by the time she got home! And on top of that, she crashed an hour earlier than her normal nap time! 

I'm really looking forward to spending some time working on things I've been putting on the back burner. This blog being one of them. Also, my home projects and art are calling my name from a far distance... I am hoping to finish old projects and start some new ones, too. But more than anything, I'm looking forward to spending time with my little tiny girl, just the two of us, for some bonding and undivided attention. 

Good things are happening here with the Jernigan Wagon! 

with love, 
Caro

3 comments:

Kara Gehret said...

How wonderful! I'm so happy for you and for Julip! I'm also selfishly excited that one of your projects is the blog :)

Meagan Tidwell said...

Sweet sweet Julip! You must be a proud mama. Can't wait to see the art you create with this new time off. Dont forget to send me an email for your new blog creation. ; )

Vanessa Washburn said...

I'm so glad she's there now and that Haley will have another buddy at her school. And that lunch is amazing.