Recently, we celebrated my sweet Dustin's birthday! July 8th he turned 27 (but let me tell ya, we are both older than our biological age... or so we feel... anyway). His actual birthday was pretty relaxed. We went to church, he had lunch with a student, we lounged around the house, bought Julip some clothes with his birthday money (backwards, huh, haha), and then ordered takeout, including a huge slice of cake, around 10 pm... I must admit... it was pretty disgusting. And I love chocolate.
I couldn't just let that be ALL. We had to have a proper celebration, you know. SO the week following his real birthday we threw him a REAL party. A shindiggity. A traditional Geburtstagfeier!
Party peoples!
We had hofbrauhaus bratwurse, grassfed
peidmontese hand formed and seasoned (by yours truly) burgers with all the toppings like homegrown tomatoes, lettuce, red onions and dill pickles, spicy mustard and ketchup! oh, and cheese of course! We had traditional sauerkraut, homemade pretzels, and beer bread made by my friend Ivy! It was just so delicious. My burger was like a rainbow of colors. We also had grilled veggies and beautiful fruit. Plus we had the very appropriate German beverage in high supply! I love good, nutritious party food.
My sweet friends Laura and the newly engaged Kate!
For dessert I borrowed our neighbors kitchen aid and whipped out two cakes: a German chocolate cake with toasted coconut shavings and a lemon blueberry cake, both whole wheat and both so good! I was so suprised when they actually turned out as cakes and not big baked lumps in the pan. I must say, for someone who doesn't always have sugar in the sugar bowl, making cakes is a lot of fun... I could get used to keeping my sugar bowl stocked! :)
Dear dear Matt with the birthday man!
All sorts of friends came including some friend from HUNTSVILLE! Our dear friend Matt and his girlfriend (who is now also our dear friend) came for the party! And probably the best present Dustin got was his grill! You see, when in the hussel and bussel of packing up and moving in five short days from Huntsville to St Louis, we just forgot our grill. Matt had been holding onto it for over a year now and he brought it home to the place it belongs. I cannot even begin to tell you how excited I was and am... Dustin can get his grill master on every night now! :) (ok, maybe that's a little high of an expectation, but every week is reasonable, right?)
The lovely Ivy and Matt with my little chickadee Jubie!
It was just so fun to celebrate Dustin with all of our friends outside on a hot summer's night with good food and good drink and our dearly missed grill. A little taste of heaven, maybe?
(we definitely missed our friends Holly and Chase... just saying.)
With much love,
Caro
No comments:
Post a Comment